Supplies for cats with diabetes
Diabetes mellitus in cats
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which the pet’s body becomes unable to properly metabolize sugar and control blood glucose levels. To control glucose levels, the body normally uses insulin, a special hormone that is produced in the pancreas. In cats with diabetes, insulin production by the pancreas is impaired, leading to spikes in blood sugar, glucose excretion and impaired carbohydrate metabolism - conditions that can be extremely dangerous for kittens.
Unfortunately, it is not always possible to completely rid a cat of diabetes, but proper care combined with a suitable cat diabetic supplies will help to go into permanent remission.
- Gender. For reasons that are not fully understood, the risk of getting diabetes is much higher for cats than for cats.
- Sedentary lifestyle + unbalanced diet. Lack of exercise, improper products and excessive carbohydrates lead to excess weight in a cat, which, in turn, provokes the appearance of diabetes and glucose spikes.
- Weight. Pets that are overweight or don't keep a diet are more prone to developing diabetes. The risk is highest for cats weighing more than 6 pounds.
- Breed. Some breeds are more prone to the disease - among them Burmese, Abyssinian, Norwegian Forest and Russian Blue cats. Belonging to a certain breed doesn't mean that your cat will definitely get the disease, but it's a risk worth keeping in mind.
- Pancreatic injuries. In some cases, diabetes can be triggered by damage to the pancreas, causing it to malfunction and the insulin produced is no longer sufficient to process glucose.
If your cat suffers from diabetes, you know that he needs to measure its glucose. For this you will need cat diabetic supplies.
It is measured strictly on an empty stomach, because after a meal there is a physiological increase in glucose. You can measure it in the clinic or on your own. A standard glucometer and test strips are used. A drop of blood is taken from the ear. Your doctor will usually show you how to do this at the clinic. Along the edge of the ear is a vessel (it is clearly visible if you shine a flashlight in the phone), wipe the place of the future injection with alcohol, and when the alcohol dries, pierce the needle and lightly press. To the drop, put the test strip. The scoreboard will show the result. Squeeze the puncture point with a sterile napkin or absorbent cotton until the blood stops. You can buy cat diabetic supplies from us!
Glucose levels in cats.
The normal level is up to 6 - 8 mmol. In diabetics, it can range from 6 - 8 mmol/l to 16 - 18 mmol/l. If glucose is kept in this range - it's good, with such figures clinical signs are weak or almost not expressed and the consequences and complications of this disease are minimal. If the animal visually does not feel well - you should go to the doctor for examination and correction of insulin dosage. Be sure to use diabetic cat supplies to measure blood sugar levels.
Where to buy the right items?
In our online shop you can find diabetic supplies for cats! We have the best selection of all possible stores. By ordering diabetic supply from us, you are choosing quality and warranty.
Be sure to consult your veterinarian before buying!