Antibiotics are undoubtedly a very controversial thing. Because of their strong action, they can cause a certain amount of harm to the human body as well as to animals. But at the same time they also save lives. After all, sometimes the organism is not able to fight the infection on its own. Because, you must understand that dogs, cats, birds and other animals can not always cope with the disease without the intervention of antibiotics for animals.
Groups of antibiotics
Antibiotics for animals, like medical antibiotics, are divided into groups:
Antibiotics for pets are distinguished by their chemical structure, the number of their constituent substances, that is, more than 2 active elements - these are combined antibiotics. Antibiotics for animals are also differentiated by the spectrum of antimicrobial action: there are drugs of broad and narrow range of action.
The modern market of veterinary drugs offers antibacterial and antimicrobial agents for all, without exception, types of animals. It is possible to choose antibiotics for fish, antibiotics for birds, for cats and dogs and even for squirrels!
When to take antibiotics?
Antibiotics in veterinary medicine are prescribed for:
- Many intestinal infections;
- Inflammatory diseases of the hepatobiliary system (liver, gallbladder, bile ducts);
- Infections of the upper or lower respiratory tract (from sinusitis to pneumonia);
- Urogenital infections, including cystitis;
- Skin conditions, such as dermatitis and pustular rashes;
- Glandular inflammation (e.g., mastitis);
- Trauma of various etiologies;
- Joint diseases in acute form;
- Bacterial lesions of the nervous system.
Very often antibiotics for cats, dogs and other animals are needed in the postoperative period (even after planned surgery, castration or spaying) to prevent complications.